Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Hacking Plesk 8 for FreeBSD 6

I was recently in a situation where I had to upgrade Plesk, commercial domain-hosting software that lets you manage web, email, and database services through a nice web control panel. It's pretty convenient software and it seems to work well. I needed to migrate the service off an old RedHat box that was difficult to maintain, and I wanted the new system on FreeBSD. The latest Plesk release, 8.0, is only supported on FreeBSD up to version 6.0, but the most current release at the time was 6.1. I like to track RELENG_6 and I didn't want to downgrade the box, so I tried faking out the Plesk installer.

To do that, I changed /usr/src/sys/conf/newvers.sh. REVISION="6.1" became REVISION="6.0" and BRANCH="STABLE" became BRANCH="STABLE61". Modifying the BRANCH label wasn't strictly necessary, but it seemed wise to identify the true release in the kernel version data. After that, I simply rebuilt and reinstalled the kernel (see /usr/src/Makefile if you're unfamiliar with the process), rebooted, and the Plesk installer worked without a hitch.

I've been told by SWSoft support that Plesk 8.1 will support newer releases of FreeBSD 6, but I couldn't wait for that and I wasn't about to build a new box on FreeBSD 4 or 5. (They're not bad, but I prefer 6 now.) I haven't had any troubles running Plesk 8 on that system, and as one who's more comfortable with FreeBSD than RedHat, I've been much happier managing this newer box.

2 Comments:

At December 04, 2006 12:42 AM, Blogger bassmastermarkiep said...

Step away from the software manual and plug in yer bass gee-tar. Ya ever point the amp out toward the hill to check out the natural echo? (The neighbors aren't that far away.) Nothing here pertaining to your post obviously. Sorry. No I'm not.

 
At December 07, 2006 3:05 PM, Blogger O'Shaug said...

Heh. Good comment, Mark. I should try that. I got enough big juicy speakers lying around -- maybe I can scare all my pesky ground squirrels away.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home